The Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre invites applications for a full-time, permanent Archivist.
Peace River is a progressive urban centre in northwest Alberta, and is a scenic, growing town that is home to just under 7,000 residents. The community is situated in the Peace River Valley and straddles the banks of the mighty Peace River. The town is within a five hours’ drive north of Edmonton and two hours northeast of Grande Prairie.
The Archivist is responsible for the organization, care, storage, and preservation of the archival collection according to the professional standards established by the Canadian Council of Archives. The Archivist is also responsible for facilitating public access to the archival collection and ensuring access is a high priority.
Together with caring for the Archives, the Archivist will be working with Museum staff on exhibit development, conducting public tours, creating and implementing programming and special events, and, assisting in the Museum Gift Shop.
• Post-secondary degree in History, Museum Studies or a Masters in Archival Studies or Library and Information Science;
• Research experience with primary and secondary resources;
• Two years’ experience in the heritage field preferred;
• Experience with scanning historic content, grant writing & digital media outreach (i.e. Blogger, Facebook, etc) are strong assets;
• Comprehensive knowledge of National Archives Standards (RAD) and privacy and copyright issues in archives;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to work as a member of a team of the museum and to move comfortably between different, but integrated program areas and functions;
• Ability to work independently and be self-motivated;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines when managing competing priorities and multiple projects;
• A demonstrated passion for record-keeping, archives and cultural heritage;
• Standard First Aid/ CPR Certificate or willingness to obtain;
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s license; and,
• Minimum 18 years of age.
Full Time • Permanent
Hours: 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week.
Closing Date: October 31, 2019
The Town of Peace River welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Complete job descriptions are available upon request. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resumes to the address below.
Quote competition #19/050.
Human Resources Coordinator
We thank all participants for their interest, however only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Suite 1912-130 Albert Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Tel: 613-234-6977, 1 Fax: 613-234-8500
Privacy & Confidentiality - Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct
Copyright © 2019 - The Association of Canadian Archivists