City of New Westminster
New Westminster Museum & Heritage Services
Location: New Westminster, BC
Compensation: $63,845 - $75,168 annually plus a comprehensive benefits package
Department: Museum &Heritage Services
No. of Positions: One
Union: CUPE, Local 387
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week*
New Westminster Museums and Heritage Services is looking for an enthusiastic, collaborative, and creative Archivist with demonstrated experience in archival collections management, arrangement and description, database systems, digitization processes, employee and volunteer supervision, preventative conservation, and facilitating access (in-person and online) to archival collections. You will also participate in city and museum initiatives in the areas such as Indigenous reconciliation, exhibition development, publications and community engagement.
This is an excellent opportunity for an Archives professional with demonstrated initiative, strong leadership abilities, and exemplary public service and communication skills.
If you have many of the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to meet you!
• You have a Master's Degree in Archival Science plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience acceptable to the employer
• You have considerable knowledge and proficiency in the established standards (RAD) for acquisition, accessioning, appraisal, arrangement, description, indexing and conservation of archival materials
• You have demonstrated sensitivity to issues associated with the stewardship of information related to Indigenous peoples
• You are proficient in the history, growth and development of Canada, particularly in relation to British Columbia, the City of New Westminster and settler-indigenous relations in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia
• You have excellent research, analytical, critical thinking and report writing skills
• You have excellent customer service skills and demonstrated ability to provide archival reference services
• You have strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal discreetly with highly confidential matters
• You can prepare budgets and grant applications as well as monitor revenues and approved expenditures
• You have the ability to develop, organize, and administer archival operations and recommend policies
• You are experienced in supervising the work of employees and volunteers
• You are capable of maintaining archival database and management systems using accepted professional standards
• You are skilled in public speaking and promoting interest in and awareness of the municipal and community archives
• You have the ability to successfully build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts
• You have a knack for preparing a variety of written materials related to the work
• You can work independently with minimal supervision
• You are physically able to lift and/or move boxes of archival materials
• You have the ability to successfully pass and maintain a satisfactory police information check
This position works non-standard hours, including weekends.*
Please note that qualified candidates must be available to work a flexible schedule.
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land. We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document quoting the competition number, by October 25, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9,
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #21-135
Application Deadline: October 25, 2021 by 11:59pm.
Suite 1912-130 Albert Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Tel: 613-234-6977, 1 Fax: 613-234-8500
Privacy & Confidentiality - Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct
Copyright © 2019 - The Association of Canadian Archivists