Executive Director (Maternity Leave Contract)
The ArQuives: Canada's LGBTQ2+ Archives
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Compensation: Hours and Salary: 37.5h/week, salary range based on experience $70 000 to $80 000 annually
Located in Toronto, Ontario, The ArQuives is one of the largest independent LGBTQ2+ archives in the world. Primarily a volunteer-run organization focusing on Canadian content, The ArQuives acquires, preserves, and provides public access to information and collections in various formats. Our organization offers a range of research, exhibition, educational, and community programming.
Description and Duties
The ArQuives seeks an Executive Director to fill a temporary (10-month contract; possible 3-month extension) maternity leave contract commencing mid to late May 2021. There is an expected two-week period for training with the current Executive Director.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the organization via the vision, mandate, and strategic plans to preserve and make accessible the LGBTQ2+ history of Canada. The position requires both in-person and virtual work, with regular office hours being Monday to Friday with the occasional evening and weekend meetings and events. Responsibilities of the position include administrative duties (management of staff and operations of primary The ArQuives building and associated storage locations), financial duties (managing the operational budgeting and financial reporting to the board), fundraising (overseeing and implementation of the Fundraising Plan and donor relations in collaboration with the Senior Development Officer), grant writing and management (including reporting and applications), partnerships and programming with community groups, educational institutes, and various levels of government, and acting as an institutional advocate.
The ArQuives acknowledges and is committed to addressing historical inequities within our organization. We encourage applications from marginalized communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, women, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, Black, people of colour, and persons with disabilities.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
● Financial and administrative management of the organization. Supervise and provide leadership to approx 4-5 staff and 120 volunteers.
● Advocate for the institution within the LGBTQ2+ community, levels of government, heritage community, and the general public.
● Continue the execution of the 2018-2022 Strategic Plan outlined by the Board of Directors and the 2021 and 2022 Operational plans.
● Manage and provide support to a team of staff and volunteers to meet the Strategic Plan's direction.
● Create and implement new programming as needed to forward the organization.
● Act as a spokesperson for The ArQuives with the media
● In collaboration with the Senior Development Officer, meet with potential funders and partners and assist with grant writing as relevant to the Strategic Plan.
● Provide professional support for the Board of Directors
Qualifications ● A demonstrated record of leadership and supervision (minimum of three years experience)
● Post-secondary education in related fields an asset
● Experience with library, archives, museum, and heritage organizations is a strong asset but not required
● Proven skills and knowledge in the areas of fundraising, finances, and budget processes
● Proven skills in project management, human resources, and volunteer management
● Experience with conflict resolution and working with the public an asset
● Knowledge and understanding of the LGBTQ2+ communities and history or experience working with marginalized communities
● Knowledge and understanding of Google Suite, WordPress, Basecamp, and Sumac are an asset
● Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team
● Ability to take the initiative and prioritize with strong attention to detail
Additional Information Please address any questions about the posting to firstname.lastname@example.org before March 13, 2021.
Estimated start date: May 17, 2021
Apply by email to: email@example.com
For more information please visit: https://arquives.ca/latest-news/ed-maternity-leave-contract
Application deadline: April 5, 2021 @ 5 pm EST
Suite 1912-130 Albert Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Tel: 613-234-6977, 1 Fax: 613-234-8500
Privacy & Confidentiality - Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct
Copyright © 2019 - The Association of Canadian Archivists