Machinery of Government Policy Advisor
Executive Council Office, Ontario
Location: 99 Wellesley Street West, Toronto, Ontario
Compensation: $73,402 - $108,164 per annum, 1 Temporary - 18 months (with possibility of extension)
This is an exciting opportunity to exercise your knowledge of the structure and operations of government, and your highly developed policy, analytical, communication and project management skills at Cabinet Office.
The Ministry: Cabinet Office is the Premier's ministry. It provides the Premier and his Cabinet with advice and analysis to help the government achieve its priorities.
The Branch: The Executive Council Office (ECO) provides direct operational support to Cabinet and its senior committees, while managing machinery of government requirements and prerogatives, and stewarding Cabinet records and information platforms.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Paid statutory holidays
• Pay in lieu of benefits with optional enrolment in our group benefit plan
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Flexible work arrangements, when possible
• Welcoming and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Machinery of Government Policy Advisor, you will:
• Undertake research and provide strategic policy advice on machinery of government issues and opportunities
• Build and maintain collaborative and positive working relationships with key partners, clients and stakeholders
• Take a leadership role in the co-ordination of official Machinery of Government ceremonies and the drafting of official Executive Council documents
• Provide advice on the procedures of the Legislative Assembly as they relate to the Executive Council
• Design innovative machinery of government tools/products for digital platforms
• Manage the government-wide "OICsONline" initiative and its digital platform, and other public access issues and projects, including overseeing day-to-day Order in Council (OIC) operations
• Be responsible for all knowledge management initiatives and record retention protocols and processes
• Oversee ECO's Emergency Plan and co-ordinate emergency planning products and processes
• Develop and deploy orientation and outreach strategies
• Perform other duties, as assigned, in support of the Cabinet decision-making process
• Be responsible for the day-to-day management of a high-functioning team of senior administrative professionals
Qualifications: How do I qualify?
Knowledge of Cabinet and Machinery of Government Processes
• You have sound knowledge of the structure and operations of government and Cabinet decision-making processes
• You have a strong understanding of policy development and sound knowledge of the linkages among policy, legislative, and fiscal processes
• You have an understanding of machinery of government issues/topics and the role of machinery of government in the operations of the Executive Council of Ontario
Policy, Research and Analytical Skills
• You have advanced policy and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to synthesize complex policy issues
• You have demonstrated ability to undertake historical, comparative, and primary source research in public administration topics
• You have demonstrated capacity for problem-solving, creativity and taking the initiative
• You can view issues from a holistic perspective and work co-operatively in a team environment
• You have a basic understanding of information management policies and requirements, including sound knowledge of formal record-keeping protocols and procedures
• You have experience working with complex databases
• You have demonstrated project management skills
• You have the ability to lead complex enterprise-wide initiatives
• You have demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams
• You have strong organizational skills to meet timelines and adjust to changes in direction and priorities
• You have strong communication and interpersonal skills to work with multiple partners and senior officials in a fast-paced environment
• You have advanced written and verbal skills to prepare/present policy/research briefing materials
• You have excellent judgment and superior diplomacy skills
• You have superior relationship management skills to work with multiple partners in a high-pressure environment
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the commencement of employment.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in one document in PDF or Word format (named according to the format "FirstName LastName" and not exceeding five pages), quoting "Machinery of Government Policy Advisor" and Job ID 161380 (File CO-50-20-21) in the subject line, by Friday, March 12, 2021, to: Cab.Jobs@ontario.ca
Please indicate in your application where you heard about this vacancy.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Application Deadline: March,12,2021
Suite 1912-130 Albert Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Tel: 613-234-6977, 1 Fax: 613-234-8500
Privacy & Confidentiality - Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct
Copyright © 2019 - The Association of Canadian Archivists