The Association of Canadian Archivists Foundation was created and federally incorporated by ACA in 2006 and has received a Certificate of Continuance under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (CNCA). The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a fund-raising and fund granting charitable organization, with the specific aim of supporting the educational and research needs of the Canadian archival profession. Its key areas of focus are the following:
- to provide bursaries to Canadians and landed immigrants, who are attending universities or colleges that are Canadian registered charities and who are enrolled in archival-related disciplines.
- to administer and fund-raise for the ACAF Scholarship Endowment Fund, established in 2010. This Fund was set up to produce a long-term income stream for the provision of scholarships to archival studies students, and thus support the Canadian archival profession.
Future goals of the Foundation are:
- to provide funding for archival research and development at Canadian educational institutions;
- to establish a program of internships to encourage students enrolled in archival-related disciplines at Canadian educational institutions;
- and, to establish or financially support academic chairs in Canadian educational institutions.
For more information, please see the ACAF Scholarship Endowment Fund brochure.
The Foundation is guided by a Board of Directors of 6 individuals, as listed below:
- Karen Buckley, ACAF Chair & ACA Secretary-Treasurer
- Gary Mitchell, ACAF Secretary
- Barbara Craig
- Karen Teeple
- Marcel Caya
- Sean Hayes
Donations to the Foundation are eligible for a tax creditable receipt (minimum $50.) The Foundations charitable registration number is 80413 8477 RR0001. Each receipted donation must qualify in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations. By example a donation cannot be directed to an individual, nor can the donor receive any tangible benefit in return. Donations can be made directly to the ACA Foundation, sent c/o the ACA office.
To make donating easier, the ACA Foundation has partnered with CanadaHelps, a registered charity with a goal to make giving simple. Through CanadaHelps.org, anyone can donate online to any registered Canadian charity. It has facilitated over $300 million in charitable donations through its website since it was launched in 2000. Click on the CanadaHelps icon to make a 1-time or recurring donation to the Foundation.
To comply with the regulations of the Canada Revenue Agency and the Ontario Trustee, the Foundation's Board has consulted expert legal advisors and approved the policies for Gift Acceptance, terms for Gifts to the ACAF Scholarship Fund as well as guidelines for the Investment of donated funds and a schedule for investment of the ACAF Scholarship Endowment Funds to be managed by the Foundation.
The Foundation has initiated a campaign for directed, perpetual donations to build a substantial scholarship endowment. Donations to the Fund are welcomed, but should be at least $1,000 for a one-time donation, or could be smaller amounts if the donor will commit to a series of donations. Donations to the ACAF Scholarship Endowment Fund must be accompanied by a signed direction form, as required by the CRA. For more information about donating large or small amounts to the Foundation, please contact the ACAF Chair, or the ACA Office.
Be an informed donor
Canada Revenue Agency has introduced a First-time Donor Super Credit. Click on the link to visit CRA's site for additional information. Be an informed donor; visit www.cra.gc.ca/donors for more information.